Tuesday, March 29, 2011

41. Cassoulet

I made cassoulet this evening. What is cassoulet? It is a French peasant dish made from white beans and meat (usually pork, according to Wikipedia, and that's how I've had it in the past but tonight I used chicken). Here's what I did.

Overnight, soak 1 pound white beans.

In the morning, cook in crock pot on high for an hour and then on low until done. Drain, leave in pot.

Two hours before dinner:
Sweat holy trinity (bell pepper, onion, celery),
Cut up and brown 1 chicken breast,
I also added about 1/4 cup of diced volpi pepperoni. Just cuz.

This all gets combined with the beans in the pot.

Add 2 cans of diced tomatoes and about 1/8 cup of thyme. Salt to taste (or salt at the table).

Cook on high in crock pot for about an hour and a half to 2 hours. Serve with crusty bread and a field green salad and perfection.

1 comment:

  1. Yum yum yum. This to me is France. More specifically Paris on my last trip, eating duck cassoulet for lunch, watching the locals. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. You can post anonymously but please use your name so I know who you are. I probably won't publish pure anonymous comments. Just sayin.