Monday, March 21, 2011

34. Pie Crust

There is nothing like leftovers gussied up with homemade pie crust. We had leftover stew transformed into a meat pie tonight. I drained off a lot of liquid first, of course, and pre-baked the bottom crust.

On a side note, the stew started with a deer roast. Mike made parallel slices in the top of the roast about 2 inches deep and inserted bacon into the slices ("like bread into a toaster") and then wrapped the whole thing in bacon--this was good, but the next step of pot roast was even better. More veggies and it became a stew. It is ending its life as a meat pie. Four meals from one roast (and root veggies and peas to stretch).

But pie crust.

I used to suck at pie crust. Completely. It was a flat rock at the bottom of a pie. I tried to follow all the rules--act quickly, stay cold, use two knives or some sort of special cutter--and I was a loser. But I liked pie and detested frozen pie crust. I had to improve.

I started using a food processor.

I make good pie crust now.

My recipe for double crust.:
2 cups flour (either whole wheat pastry or white)
1/2 t salt
2/3 c butter (I know many folks use shortening but it's not part of my culture)
ice water

I put ice water in a measuring cup, set aside. Combine dry ingredients in the food processor. Stir. Add chunks of butter, process some more until combined fully. Then I turn the processor on and slowly pour water in (it's several tablespoons but I don't know how many). When dust becomes thick crumbs, I slow down. When thick crumbs congeal, I stop and let the processor do the work. If it looks too dry, I add a bit more. Otherwise, I'm done. Cold, well mixed, not overworked.

I roll half out on a piece of marble, dusted with flour. Fold in half and pick it up--line the pie plate and continue with the recipe. Then I roll out the other half and finish. Bake as directed in the pie recipe (or for meat pie, 300 degrees until done and hot (less than an hour or so).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. You can post anonymously but please use your name so I know who you are. I probably won't publish pure anonymous comments. Just sayin.