Thursday, March 10, 2011

25. Spring Cleaning: Closet Update

Umm.

My closet is a small thing, a footprint of about 8 square feet with a regular door that opens out into my room. It has 10 foot ceilings like the rest of the house, though, and so it is one of those spaces that would be more useful if it were turned on its side. But no. It has two shelves above the standard closet hanging pole.

I started by taking out all the clothes I will never wear again. What I had left was so little at this point--I'm not working outside the home and so I don't have a bunch of work clothes, and my standard wardrobe is all folded in drawers. I counted what I had left and stood there blinking. My closet was a waste of space.

I took the hangers with the clothes I do occasionally wear, including three wedding-appropriate kind of dresses, along with Sophia's First Communion dress and a few other things that were stuck in my closet for whatever reason, and took them to Mike's closet.

Mike's closet is probably more appropriately called a "trunk room." It is a big walk-in closet off the bathroom. I say "big" in comparison to the rest of my house's closets. I have, of course, a total of 5 closets if you count the pantry. Pantry, hall closet, one in each of the second floor bedrooms, and Mike's closet. Oh, and there are two linen closets but really they aren't, since they don't have doors. More like built in shelving.

So yes, it is a big closet. Big enough Mike keeps his dresser in there. There's a chair to stand on to reach the top shelves. We use it for storage and his hanging clothes.

I rearranged hangers in his closet so that they were all decent, tossed the beat up wire ones, and put my clothes to the left-hand side. Everything fit.

Going back to my closet, I took out the random assortment of "put this in my closet" stuff. I have a sewing machine in there that I need to do some repair on, for instance. There is a tub of vinyl records. A tube with a couple of posters we've always meant to get framed but haven't yet (this year we will, or we will get rid of them). Leftover boxes from Christmas packages. A sweater I forgot I owned (and kept, I like it).

So now I'm on pause. What do I do with this closet? Do I hire the folks that are doing Ann's closets and have them redesign it? Do I do it myself? Do I stick a bunch of tubs full of crap in there? Hmm. What to do.

2 comments:

  1. I can't get past "I started by taking out all the clothes I will never wear again." How did you do that? I always think "maybe I'll wear it again if ...." (fill in the blank)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I wear a sort of self-imposed uniform of black t-shirts and blue jeans. Dress up items are few, and i did keep all 3 of my appropriate for a wedding kind of dresses. But many of my blouses were dated and unattractive (thus, I never wore them). And I've learned that skirts need to be cut at the knee or at the ankle. Anthing mid-calf is no good. So out those went. And so forth.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. You can post anonymously but please use your name so I know who you are. I probably won't publish pure anonymous comments. Just sayin.