Monday, February 28, 2011

18. Universal Beans

I soak beans overnight. There is a quick method in "More With Less" but I don't like the way my kitchen smells when I boil beans on the stove. So I soak them.

In the morning, I turn the crock pot on. They've soaked in the crock pot and then I just turn it on. I don't switch the water. Whatever.

The crock pot never burns them. Sometimes they stick to the one hot spot on the bottom right corner, but nothing stinky. I cook them on low all day. I test them for doneness, and when they are soft but still firm enough to hold their shape, I drain off the water.

I pour in a jar of salsa. Or a freezer container of salsa verde. Or whatever salsa-ish concoction we've received from the CSA. Sometimes I add chopped onion and garlic. Sometimes canned tomatoes. Rarely do I add meat, and then, only leftover chicken or beef bits (sometimes the second night of beans gets stretched with deer meat, but not on the first night).

Cumin. Cumin is not optional in my house.

Salt, pepper, chili powder. Put it all in the crock pot, whichever bits seem right that day. Cover and let it cook another hour or so.

Serve with shredded cheese and/or sour cream. It isn't complete without one of those--it is missing a layer of flavor alone. But with it, it is the best thing, any time of year.

Leftovers go in lunches or Jake eats for breakfast. If there's enough (if I've done more than a pound of beans to begin with), I brown deer meat on the stove (chunks or ground) and throw the leftovers in the pan. I usually add more onion and tomato as well. Chili again, or rolled up in tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. You can post anonymously but please use your name so I know who you are. I probably won't publish pure anonymous comments. Just sayin.