Sunday, February 20, 2011

11. My Goals for 2011

These aren't resolutions. These are a few goals in the realm of things related to this blog that I want to accomplish this year. And we'll see how I go as the year progresses. I know this blog will take longer than December 31 but "2011" sounds better in the title than "for however long this blog winds up taking me to finish an arbitrary 365 entries".

1. It's quilts for Christmas again, although this year I'm going to try to not be seasonal--not everyone received seasonal quilts but many did. I don't want people to wind up with a closet full of Christmas quilts. But I also don't want to impose my style on others and so seasonal always sounds good to me. It's a tightrope. Maybe some will get fall-themed. I want these to be the sort of thing that people grab to sit under when they're watching TV and it's chilly. Or they're on the phone on the porch and it's chilly. I don't want them to be museum pieces and I don't want people to feel like I'm expecting them to redecorate their bedrooms (except for my sister Bevin and the double knit of course...). So I'm doing some thinking about this.

2. This year I will finish my knitting UFOs (unfinished objects). I'm working on my Kauni sweater right now; my pink cabled sweater needs a new collar and a longer hemline or I will never wear it (it's an FO, made into a UFO). I have a baby hat in beautiful earth tones that maybe is waiting for good news from Texas.

3. I'd love to learn how to make divinity just so I can say I can.

4. I want to make pickles again if I have the surplus cucumbers. And skip the jalapeno jelly (I still have plenty from last summer). Teach the girl scouts how to make jam, mostly to spite GSUSA.

5. I'm going to plant potatoes this year. I'm thinking right now about what I will plant them in. Urban Homestead...sigh. It will ruin me.

6. I will do something with that big bulky made in the Andes wool sweater that is taunting me to do something crafty with it. Felt it and make it into something else? Cut it down into a kid's sweater (scratchy)? Hmm.

7. I will not spend the summer and early fall being ashamed of my front yard. Ugh. The little strip of land on the west side is lovely (my grandmother planted it). The rest...needs a lot of work.

8. I will paint my front porch. I will also paint my upper back porch off my room.

9. Mostly Jake and the girls, but me too: rebuild the swingset. Rebuild and improve.

10. I will varnish the cabinet my dad made us so many years ago. Perhaps convince him to make new doors for it. Put glass in the doors. Really. I WILL DO IT THIS YEAR.

11. Paint the dining room. Medium gray. I just need to get off my duff and get it done. This spring. Tired of the red. Tired.

12. Finish the braided wool rag rug that is, again, taunting me in the guest room.

13. Finally, I will convince Jake to finish the trim in the attic with my help, and rehab the downstairs bathroom off the kitchen.

3 comments:

  1. That is quite a list! Pickles are fun to make, just require some dedication. Have you thought of planting the potatoes in a barrel or compost pile? Both work well. I love the magazine Urban Farm and their website. Lots of tips for farming in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse me for the very selfish comment, but I wish I was on your Christmas list.

    (PS - if you're wondering why I'm appearing as
    "aseparatelife" it is because of your sign-in options. You couldn't add Name/URL could you?

    Mali

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh these are all so fun! i love painting so let me know if i can help. also i love quilts. and i use yours ALL THE TIME. super warm and everyone always says, "where did you get that?" and i get to tell the awesome story about how my sister-in-law made quilts for EVERYONE IN THE FAMILY. and they're basically in awe of you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. You can post anonymously but please use your name so I know who you are. I probably won't publish pure anonymous comments. Just sayin.