Sunday, February 27, 2011

17. Broken Dishes, Broken Dishwasher

In the past three days I've broken a bowl and a glass. Unrelated to washing them--I was picking the glass up to put away, and taking the bowl out of the cabinet. Crash onto the floor. The glass was no big thing, but I like my bowls with cat faces. Ah well.

Less emotional investment in the dishwasher. It is older and it no longer sprays water. It sort of steams the dishes now. Which doesn't work, by the way. I was distressed the morning I found the still-dirty dishes sort of smeared around and grimy. It took a lot of work to clean them, and the dishes in the sink waiting for their turn in the dishwasher.

But since then, things are clean in my kitchen. I wash dishes after breakfast. I wash dishes, tiny bits, throughout the day. I put dishes away while doing other tasks in the kitchen. And then I wash dishes while I cook dinner and after we eat. The kitchen is tidy before bed and the day starts well.

Why do I want a dishwasher, again?

I'm sure I'm using more water this way, but maybe not. It's an older dishwasher and not an Energy Star appliance. I know I'm not using as much electricity, though, even with the hot water I use. The soap is cheaper, too. And my kitchen is clean.

I hate to be the one to say this but I think I might say it. I already always did my good wine glasses by hand, and all of my pots and pans, being anodized aluminum, never ever go in the dishwasher. My Revereware sometimes did (don't tell my aunt Gracemarie) but pyrex dishes rarely came out clean so I did them by hand most times. Same with the crock pot, which I use at least weekly. Bento boxes are done by hand because they're plastic. Same with anything plastic I put in my fridge to store leftovers or pesto, etc.

The dishwasher essentially became a place to store dirty dishes until later. Silverware, every day glasses, plates, and bowls. Which, of course, ARE THE EASIEST THINGS TO HANDWASH.

I think I'll eventually replace the dishwasher. Looks like about $600-$900 for a really good one. And I'll use it for dinner parties and events like that. Right?

Hmm.

1 comment:

  1. I've been washing by hand during the week, but I gave mine with the broken latch a try yesterday after 12 people for dinner -- and it worked. I'll still wash by hand until there's another crowd. Just as quick and easy with only two eating.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. You can post anonymously but please use your name so I know who you are. I probably won't publish pure anonymous comments. Just sayin.