Friday, February 25, 2011

15. Spools


These are the spools of thread I went through to make the Christmas quilts. Some of them, of course, were partially used before Christmas quilting began. But some of these belie their original heft--that cardboard tube, for instance, was three times that size in diameter, top to bottom, filled with machine quilting thread.

Some of it was "vintage" thread, picked up mostly at Leftovers back when they had a south city location (oh how I miss Leftovers; the drive to St. Charles is too much for a bag of junk). I picked them up mostly for the wooden spools they were wound on, but that Trusew Polyester was a thin lavender thread I used to put blocks together.

I'm sure this isn't all. I didn't think to start saving spools from this project until October, and at that point I had done some work already. But it's a good indicator, still.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Bridgett -- I have to ask, do you have a plan for the empty spools? Whenever I finish a spool I find myself thinking there MUST be something good to do with it - but I haven't come up with the answer yet. (I think most of mine are plastic these days, but I may have a few wooden ones left somewhere deep in an infrequently used closet.)

    Jan, in Portland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a plan. I'm in the same boat. I have tons of wooden spools, too, from the same recycling store I mentioned. I have a large mixing bowl full...I love them and I can't bear to give them away. I keep thinking they will be useful. Same with the fatter plastic spools. Not sure about those skinny ones. I may throw them in the dollhouse fodder pile. Kids do all sorts of things with spools (there's probably 2 dozen upstairs already)

    ReplyDelete

Hi. You can post anonymously but please use your name so I know who you are. I probably won't publish pure anonymous comments. Just sayin.