Thursday, January 5, 2012

75. My Homemade Pedialyte

Why do I make homemade? Well, I need it so infrequently that I don't want to keep the storebought stuff on my shelves for years when I can make it out of 3 ingredients I use all the time and one that I keep just for this (potassium salt, aka "salt substitute"). According to my sister, too, it turns out like salty kool-aid instead of the storebought stuff, which she refers to as "battery acid sugar water." That can't be good. I've never had it. But here's mine. The nurse on the help line said she hadn't heard that recipe before, but it sounded like a good one:

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon salt substitute
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 Tablespoons koolaid mix with sugar (not sugar free and not just the flavor packets--if I didn't have koolaid mix on hand, I would use sugar plain, or I've read ones that use a bit of flavored gelatin powder).
2 quarts of water

Mix all together. I mix the dry with 1 quart of water and stick it in the fridge. When I need more, I cut it in half with plain water from the tap.

Daisy makes a face but she drinks it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. You can post anonymously but please use your name so I know who you are. I probably won't publish pure anonymous comments. Just sayin.